Thursday, December 7, 2006

Warming up

The place I'm staying at while I find my own:


Stairs and wooden floors.


Not surprisingly, duplexes are a popular thing here. Seem like the practical thing to do in the tall, narrow, 1900 houses.


My girl Chiqui gives advice worth following. Listening to her, I paid a visit to Mr. Marcolini this evening. "The sex shop of chocolate shops," said J. True. The black carpet on the stairs reminded me of Agent Provocateur. It's pure visual pleasure. Haven't tasted any of it yet, but it's promising.

Sablons is a lovely area. Small, paved streets, adorable restaurants, antique shops, art galleries and unaffordable rent. Walking past Louise avenue towards Porte de Namur, the neighborhood is posh, but it does make you want to spend a couple hundred more euros a month. Had dinner at L'Ultime Atome (see what they did?), place Ernest Solvay. Great food - excellent tarte tatin. Kind of loud. Shame for the music - I don't know who on earth still thinks Manu Chao is cool. I did a quick search on Google, looks like the NY Times mentioned it a while ago.

Now, Chiqui, I'll have to explore this thing about people partying in a cemetery. And visit the comic bookstore you're mentioning.

Turning in now. The cab will pick me up at 6:15. I'm taking the Eurostar back to London. No, I'm not giving up already. I'll be back on Saturday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That looks charming ! A duplex, wahou ! Congratulations miss Paz. You will feel great in this flat to fill this weblog and other writing projets you must have.

Amadou & Mariam play at the Roundhouse this monday... no regret, you see !