Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Ixelloise

Long, sunny day in Amsterdam. I was there for work today. Shame I didn't get to go sightseeing, there really is a lovely feel to that place. What I didn't realize was how far it is from Brussels. Not less than 2h30 by train...

On my way back, I was sitting in front of a couple of English yobs disguised as businessmen:
- I'd never realized Den Haag was actually The Hague."
- You serious? Oh, it's easy, mate. 'Den' is 'The' and 'Haag' is 'Hague.'"
- ..."
- Wot?"
- I'd figured that out by myself, thank you very much."
- ..."
- ..."
- You cunt."

I have a new bed
. And a sofa. And shelves. My Ikea home in Ixelles. We met my Bolivian neighbor in the process, he helped us carry the heavy stuff. Great guy, very sweet, very well-traveled.

Ixelles is a cool area, in all senses of the word. you find galleries, great restaurants, an international atmosphere... There are good bookstores around, too. Candide is the one closest to my new place. It's big and bright and it's old school.






I
was given this book as a present. I should aim at turning into a "relaxed, smiling Ixelloise." Point taken. I'll do my best.


Brussels itself is tiny. The city is composed of 17 "communes" - the equivalent of boroughs in London, I would guess. Ixelles is one of them. Postcode: 1050. The way it happens here, everyone has to register at the town hall. You show up with a couple of passport pictures, your renting contract and a proof of identity and you tell them you've just moved in. To make sure you're not lying, they send a cop over to your house. The cop checks if your name is on the mailbox or the doorbell, rings, makes sure you're you if you're there or leaves a note if you're not. You have to bring the note back to the police station. Once that's done, you officially become a proud resident of your commune.


I hadn't seen my Belgian friend Virginie in a year. She got married last November and we met up last night for dinner. She chose Jaloa. Wild mushroom cappuccino, roasted scallops in cauliflower cream with a hint of truffle, tender piece of baby boar and last, but not least, a slice of pineapple with chocolate fondant, vanilla ice-cream and mint leaves (by the way, just FYI, vanilla and mint are an amazing combination - don't know why I never thought of that). We ordered a great Burgundy to go with it, from Savigny-les-Beaunes - a wink to little Chloe, 9, and baby sister Emma, 7, who are growing up in that same village. Lovely meal, great service, cute place. Winner of the San Pellegrino Fashion Food 2005 prize, whatever that is, and listed among the Jeunes Restaurateurs d'Europe. I'm thinking this is good.

My friend's obsessed with sardines. She keeps asking me whether I already ate some. Here's to her - my first can. They were delish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Miss Paz,
What a change from your first posts! You seem much happier with the city. That's great babe. Btw, when will we see some pics of your new home?