Friday, December 22, 2006

In for good

I arrived at my new place at 8:00 this morning. The entire house was already awake. Eva and Avinash were waiting for their truck. They were moving out as I was moving in.

We thought it would be a nightmare. But my boxes were all in at 9:00. Theirs left at 11:00 or so. As I was unpacking, they kept stopping by, checking in on me, making sure I was doing ok. At one point, they got hungry, went to the bakery, returned with pains au chocolat and croissants and brought me some. Poor Eva seemed exhausted and a bit stressed. I said I'd love to have them over for dinner once we all settled in.

On my mailbox, I found a small Christmas card from the neighbors I haven't met yet, a Belgian couple. They were wishing me happy holidays and welcoming me to the place. I may well get used to this sweetness...

At 13:00, the electricity was finally connected. I'd made my bed, filled my closets with clothes and linen, taken out all the kitchenware, all the bottles of Chanel 5 had found their place in the bathroom. I was resting with my plush animals listening to Keith Jarrett, thinking I would probably be happy in this apartment.

I had to get back to work, so I left. I stopped in the fancy deli across the street, called Art(y)shock. As the guy was making me a honey and goat cheese sandwich, he told me a bit about the electro scene in Brussels. He mentioned the Dirty Dancing nights at the Mirano. He said that if I wanted to go, I should come see him, he'd give me passes. He says it's impossible to get in, unless you're a regular. So those might help.

It's sunny and I'm tired. Good tired. Tonight, I'm celebrating Virginie's wedding.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So cool. Your the Ixelle Queen. Long live to you !