Saturday, December 16, 2006

Home

One or two years ago, my friend Damien Poulain gave me this postcard he'd designed himself. I had it at work, in London, never really thought about it. Then my boxes arrived in Brussels. I undid them on Wednesday and pinned the card at my new desk. It just made sense. I felt bleak.


Today, Brussels is rainy and I found a place. I love it. I love the area and I love the owners. She's from Spain, he was born in Uganda, raised in the U.K., in an Indian family. When we talk, it's an awful mix of French, English and Spanish. They own the entire house, redid the interior themselves, it's very tasteful. They told me they'd liked me, too. The neighbor is both American and Bolivian. He became their friend. Once we signed the contract, which we did over tea at their place, Avinash went downstairs and put my name on the mailbox.


I have a home in Brussels.

No comments: