Friday, December 1, 2006

Day 1

After almost three years in London, I was sent to Brussels for work.


Years of traveling, never found a place like London. Felt at home in five minutes, on my first holiday there, in May 2003. Within two hours, I knew I'd move there, so I did, 10 months later. I really thought that would be it. Sunbathing at Primrose Hill. Partying in the East. Working in the City. Hiking in Hampstead Heath. Exploring the West, why not. I was happy. I loved it. I was going to stay there five, ten years. Maybe never leave.



Small and boring town this one. In June this year, I came to visit an old friend, who is completely in love with Brussels. Spent two warm, sunny days here with him in his big, tastefully decorated apartment. Streets full of people, night out at Maman's, tasty French fries, great waffles... It seemed ok.


It did! They had 40-year-old skateboarders.


They had shops for the ladies.


They had illiterate rebels.

It'd be fine. So long as it didn't last more than a weekend. Felt like I was breathing again when the train got to Waterloo. The Northern line. Thank God. The silent weirdos. Finally. Home, sweet home.


So not sure why I accepted, but since I'm here, the plan is to make the most of it. Slow down, maybe. Get a huge and indecently cheap place. Find out what's interesting and compile it in here. Try and not hate the experience.

That'll teach me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

found the cheap place then? pics mandatory

Anonymous said...

Come on, everything will be ok. I'm sure in a few weeks you'll be an expert on the city. You'll love it and you'll be the perfect guide for your mates.
Btw, your blog is v cool. I'm waiting for more photos!!