Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Hopes up

Yesterday, as I was browsing through The Flyer, the Guardian's travel section newsletter, I found this thing that listed the top-10 European flea markets. Turns out three of them are in Belgium. Not that I'm particularly big on flea markets, but there's something reassuring about getting validation from a foreign newspaper. I can't say that I'm surprised: everywhere I look, it's decoration and antique shops. The Belgians like their interiors fancy.

More pragmatically, my living room is in dire need of tables... Coffee, dining, corner tables. I'm on a table frenzy. I want to put tables everywhere. Different styles, colors and sizes, wood, metal, mosaic. So I can cover them with cute things and throw my papers and handbags and scarves around, desperately look for my left shoe under every piece of really pretty furniture and be über late for work. Place du Jeu de Balle it is, then.

I gave The Bulletin another try. The "Web Guru" did well this week - did he hear my complaint? Made me discover this really cool - yet conceptual: practical people, start running - site that "scans through millions of pages (blogs) searching out keywords relating only to feelings." Kind of useless, but incredible: We Feel Fine. Good job, Guru.

Last but not least... I saw in the New York Times this review of a book written by Calvin Trillin, about his dead wife, Alice. I'd never heard of the man, but it intrigued me. So I found the complete story: "
She was, as Roger Wilkins later wrote, so very pretty, but that wasn’t the first thing that struck me about her; it might have come as much as two or three seconds later. My first impression was that she looked more alive than anyone I’d ever seen." And this, my friends, is probably the most wonderful compliment a woman could ever hope to get.

Jovanotti, old(ish) but fun:


No comments: