Friday, January 26, 2007

From all over




Please join me in welcoming the newest member of this ever-growing community: fashion reference, creative business genius and would-be dominatrix Y is letting us in her innermost thoughts and hilarious adventures. Long live Mungbean. So happy to have you here.








While I spend my day struggling at work, repressing smiles at those whose core belief is that Brussels is the very center of the universe, deservedly stuffing myself with Belgian chocolate and staring at the aquariums where fish either eat each other or reproduce, depending on their mood (or who of their companions has died that day), friends from all over Europe send me comments and suggestions in an effort to show their support.

From my English-accent coach:
"Brussels must come down as the worst European capital. It's the capital of Flanders, but the Flemings don't like it because it's mainly French speaking. It's the capital of Belgium, but there is almost no-one who claims to be Belgian. They are all either Flemish or Walloon. It's the capital of Europe, but Europeans are largely stuck in a narrow nationalistic mindset, especially when it comes to paying for Europe. So, Brussels is left to its own devices, burdened with a large Arab minority which is not known for its will to settle in and invest. Consequently, Brussels is filthy and run down, despite its location in the wealthiest European region. It is said to be the only capital with a net loss in population every year."
(in the comment section of this BBC news story)

Dude, thanks. As much as I miss London, I don't think I could be this harsh on Brussels. Then again, I am surrounded by expats.

On a more positive note, an attentive reader in Madrid noticed this morning that a huge name was missing in the Musical Belgium section. I didn't wait a second to correct this. Here's to make it up to both my friend and Django:



Happy weekend everybody.

No comments: